From: Rob C. [mailto:iose...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:58 AM
To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Secondary Storage IP Subnet: Is it Optional or Mandatory?

Hi,

According to some (possibly old) documentation I read, I have the impression
that it is *optional* to define a secondary storage IP subnet.

Note, my questions are all in the context of:
- CloudStack 4.2
- ESXi hosts / vSphere 5.1
- Primary Storage is VMFS via fiber channel
- Advanced Networking

Here is the document to which I am referring, along with the relevant
quotes:
CloudStack System VMs:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/download/attachments/30149076/Cloudstack+System+VMs.pdf
*"Network Terminology -> Storage: As it relates to CloudStack, this is an
optional network dedicated to secondary storage. If not specified, the
management network will be assumed for this role."* *"SSVM -> eth3 (storage):
Note if a physical storage interface was not specified when creating the zone
this interface will not exist. Storage traffic will assume the management
interface"*

My Questions:
1. Is the above-referenced document accurate for CloudStack 4.2?

2. Do I interpret correctly that I don't need to define an IP subnet for
Secondary Storage?

3. I have noticed that the CloudStack 4.2 Installation Guide, section 2.8.3
"Advanced Zone Network Traffic Types", for the type "Storage" says: *"You must
configure the IP range to use for the storage network."*
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.2.0/html-single/Installation_Guide/index.html#advanced-zone-network-traffic-types
How am I to interpret the quoted statement?  Is it saying that I must configure
a range regardless, or only if I *opt* to have a Secondary Storage network?  If
there is no Secondary Storage IP subnet, would I enter a range selected from
the Management IP subnet?

I am aware of the redundancy and performance benefits to using separate
interfaces, this is not my concern here.  My idea is to have a simplified
CloudStack architecture by using a single IP subnet for CloudStack Management,
and putting the NFS server on the same subnet (NFS to be used for Secondary
Storage only).

If your response is that a defined Secondary Storage IP subnet is a mandatory
requirement, then I have a few other questions regarding this
network:
4. I haven't found any documentation that helps with planning the size of the
Secondary Storage network -- besides the NFS server and the SSVM, what other
devices must have an IP address on this network?

5. How are IP addresses for devices on the Secondary Storage network assigned?
In the case of the SSVM it must be dynamic, but if I were to manually put a
CloudStack host onto this network (for convenience), what assures that the same
IP address won't also get handed out to an SSVM?

6. Is it permitted to place the Secondary Storage traffic onto its own
dedicated vSwitch on ESXi?  According to the Installation Guide under section
8.3.5.1.1 Separating Traffic: "*CloudStack allows you to use vCenter to
configure three separate networks per ESXi host. *...*  The allowed networks
for configuration are public, guest, and private (for management and usually
storage traffic).*"  This would suggest that storage traffic must share the
same vSwitch as management traffic.

If I am missing something fundamental, and/or asking the wrong questions,
please correct me!  Same goes if you have some general insight into the pros
and cons of having a Secondary Storage IP subnet.

Many thanks!
Rob