Hi Imran,

If you create a VM from template then the root disk adopts the size of the
original template – and the disk size your select is for *additional data
disks*. So you probably now how a 5GB root disk and a 300GB data disk attached.

In that case you should no use LVM to extend the root partition if you ever
want to rely on volume snapshots. There is no mechanism in CloudStack to
exactly time snapshots of two disks part of the same volume group – hence you
can never use this for recovery.

All in all CloudStack works on the premise that your VM system volume resides
on a single disk – hence you will run into problems if you go outside these
boundaries. Your best bet is to either 1) build from ISO and select the 300GB
disk – which will now apply to the root disk, or 2) resize your root disk and
use the LVM processes described in the other emails to expand into the free
space.

Regards,
Dag Sonstebo
Cloud Architect