Hello,

We're trying to draw a multisite architecture where any VM could be relocated
to the secondary site whenever the primary site fails (primary/backup for
disaster recovery purposes). We don't require live migration, and we are okay
with shutting down machines in order to relocate them.

We are using Cloudstack 4.15 on Ubuntu Focal. In our current setup, each
datacenter has a Cloudstack management node, as well as a few hypervisors
running KVM and a Cloudstack agent. We're using Ceph as our primary storage,
and NFS as our secondary storage on each site.

To ensure metadata resiliency, we've replicated the MySQL database across both
sites, much like described following this guide:

https://docs.cloudstack.apache.org/projects/cloudstack-installation/en/4.11/choosing_deployment_architecture.html#multi-site-deployment

We tried setting up multiple zones, one for each datacenter, each one having
its own primary storage, but we are faced with the issue where we are not able
to migrate VMs across zones (only Pod/Cluster/Host level is available via the
GUI and the Cloudmonkey CLI).

Are we using the right level of abstraction for our case? If so, how can we
migrate a VM (compute + storage) from one zone to another? If not, what is the
right level to use that allows us to use two separate primary storage endpoints
and ensures that only the primary site gets used for compute resource
allocation in normal conditions?

Also, we would like to know whether there is some documentation already
touching on the subject of best practices when performing these "more advanced"
deployments.

Kind regards,

Vladimir DOMBROVSKI