A vague question if you ask me...

What version of cocoon are you using by the way?  2.2?

Let's assume you have one of 2 options below configured in your sitemap:

<!-- option 1: using request parameters -->
<map:match pattern="mypage.html">
  <map:call function="generateMyPage"/>
</map:match>

<!-- option 2: using sitemap parameters -->
<map:match pattern="mypage/*">
  <map:call function="generateMyPage">
    <map:parameter name="id" value="{1}"/>
  </map:call>
</map:match>

You would invoke option 1 like:

http://localhost:8080/mywebapp/myblock/mypage.html?id=1040

option 2 can be invoked like:

http://localhost:8080/mywebapp/myblock/mypage/1040

Now your flowscript controller

option 1:

function generateMyPage() {
    var id = cocoon.request.getParameter("id");
    //fetch additional data
    var employees = cocooon.getComponent("dataSource").findById(id);
    cocoon.sendPage(
        "mypage2html",
        {
          "id": id, "employees ": employees
        }
    );
}

option 2:

function generateMyPage() {
   var id = cocoon.parameters["id"];
    //fetch additional data
    var employees = cocooon.getComponent("dataSource").findById(id);
    cocoon.sendPage(
        "mypage2html",
        {
          "id": id, "employees ": employees
        }
    );
}

So you will also need a jxtemplate to render you html:

<map:match pattern="mypage2html">
  <map:generate src="pages/mypage.jx" type="jx"/>
  <map:serialize type="xhtml"/>
</map:match>

the template could look like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<jx:template
  xmlns:jx="http://apache.org/cocoon/templates/jx/1.0";>
    <head>
      <title>Some Title </title>
      <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"
href="resource/external/css/styles.css"/>
    </head>
        <thead>
            <th>First Name</th>
            <th>Last Name</th>
        </thead>
        <tbody>
          <jx:forEach var="employee" items="${employees}">
          </jx:forEach>
        </tbody>
</jx:template>

So the result of invoking both URL's is an xhtml page.

Robby