Ah interesting...does it apply to Cocoon 2.1.11 (should have mentioned earlier, that's what I am using.)

On 10/21/2011 8:44 AM, Robby Pelssers wrote:
For what it's worth... check this thread and see if this applies:
http://www.mail-archive.com/users@cocoon.apache.org/msg45665.html

Robby

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Joseph [mailto:pjos...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2011 2:42 PM
To: users@cocoon.apache.org
Subject: scaling problem

Hi there,

I have been supporting a cocoon app for several years and it has been
quite successful when about 10 users are accessing it at the same time,
in the 32 bit Windows/Tomcat envrionment.

Now, the app is being used by larger groups and in higher numbers.  So I
put it on in Windows 64 bit, using the new JDK 7 64 bit release and
Tomcat 64, all on a server class machine.

I specified max memory to be 3500 MB.

A recent load test showed that searches are a problem.  When a user runs
a search and retrieves 1000 records, after several users doing this
several times, the JVM runs out of memory.

I estimate it takes a retrieval of a total of 500,000 records (adding up
each user's queries) before the server runs out of memory...

I tried the new garbage collector by specifying in Tomcat's Java options
-XX:+UseG1GC  but this seems to have little effect.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thx.
Paul