On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Matthew Dillon
<dil...@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
>    (2) I would like to call the release 3.0.  Why?  Because while
>        spending the last ~1-2 months tracking down the cpu bug a whole lot
>        of other work has gone into the kernel including major network
>        protocol stack work and major SMP work.  My contribution to the SMP
>        work was to completely rewrite the 64-bit pmap, VM object handling
>        code, and VM fault handling code, as well as some other stuff.

Talking with Samuel Greear on IRC, he came up with this suggestion for
our release schedule:

Release a new major version of DragonFly when:

1: A new major chunk of software comes in.  (Hammer, swapcache, etc)

or

2: 7 minor revisions happen.  So, x.0, x.2, x.4, x.6, x.8. x.10, and x.12.

This works for me.  I'm happy to go to 3.0, since 2.12's "release" was
months ago, so we can go to a new version because of the improvements
to speed or just because we've had 7 minor revisions... sort of.

I'll note that the pkgsrc-2011Q4 release was scheduled for yesterday,
and I haven't seen anything yet.  That is a blocker for release, but I
expect it should be available soon.

I'm defaulting to accept on this; if you have a strong objection to
this, please tell me.  Otherwise, hooray, a Plan!