I don't think so -- this is well outside normal SOAP behaviour. Errors
should be reported as SOAP Faults sent back in a normal SOAP envelope,
otherwise clients won't handle them correctly.

There may be a way to hack this behaviour (someone from the CXF team
might know) but I'd highly recommend against doing so.

Remember as well that SOAP is transport-independent -- SOAP services
can't assume they're running on HTTP, it might be JMS or direct TCP or
even an email :-)

Andrew.