On Tuesday, October 18, 2011 9:05:48 AM Kent Närling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the status of CXF continuations and where do I find the best
> documentation on how to use it?
>
> Is the support for continuations usable for production? I see some
> mentionings of beta status etc but that might be outdated?

Likely outdated.   It's definitely used heavily in Camel.   I just spent the
last week really pounding on this area in Camel so I know they work fairly
well.   In some cases "too well".  :-)

Seriously, I was running into major issues where due to the continuations, I
was filling up all the workqueues all over the place and had thousands of
requests outstanding.  Quickly ran out of file handles/sockets.

> Also, I tried to look for documentation how to use it but the best I found
> was the "musings" on Sergey Beryozkin's blog from 2008, which is very brief?
> Surely there must be something better with samples etc?
>
> Lastly, how good of an option IS continuations for writing eg a truly
> asynchronous SOAP proxy (eg that gets SOAP requests and proxies into another
> asynchronous protocol)?
> I mean mainly for performance point of view?

This is very similar to what I was trying to do with Camel and Camel is really
a good option for this.  (well, it WILL be with 2.8.2)   You really can do
from("cxf://....").to("jms:...") and with the continuations that Camel uses,
it should work quite well.   I was doing pure SOAP -> SOAP proxying, but many
of the ideas are the same.   That said, current versions of Camel have major
performance issue in this area.  Should be fixed in the next version.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dk...@apache.org