Hi
On 03/02/12 18:13, KARR, DAVID wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Guy Pardon [mailto:g...@atomikos.com]
Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 9:54 AM
To: users@cxf.apache.org
Subject: REST and MVC for webapps

Hi,

I am looking for examples and/or information on using CXF/REST/JAXRS as
the controller for html webapps - instead of Struts or JSF.

Any pointers available?

Just a high-level comment on the approach:

If you're building a "conventional" web site where you move from page to page, a REST
service would likely only represent a portion of your application.  You'd still want to have a
"conventional" web framework like Spring MVC, Struts, or JSF (which provides some
additional paradigms).

If, however, you're building a "single-page web application" where server
communication is primarily done through AJAX calls from a Javascript framework like Dojo
or others, then a REST service might become more prominent.

The point is that a REST service handles a certain kind of interaction pattern,
and page to page navigation doesn't quite fit that.

FYI, the jaxrs_oauth demo (the complete 3 leg flow) which we are working upon and to be packaged in the Talend ESB 5.0.2 relies entirely on this feature:

http://cxf.apache.org/docs/jax-rs-redirection.html
(RequestDispatcher provider)

for supporting the navigation from one page to another page. I think we have 7 or so JSP pages there. It's all very light, simple but effective, The provider simply redirects the data to the chosen view engine (JSP or whatever). The JAX-RS resource code just looks as usual, returns some custom bean, and if HTML is expected back then RequestDispatcher will add this data to HttpServketRequest & redirect.

I'm going to highlight it more over the coming weeks.

The "oauth" demo Lukash Moren did and which is included in the release/samples uses Spring MVC.

I'd like though to create a dedicated demo showing the integration between Spring MVC & CXF, using the custom redirection feature, it;s on the map but is not prioritized

Sergey Beryozkin

Talend Community Coders
http://coders.talend.com/

Blog: http://sberyozkin.blogspot.com