Swagger JAX-RS is capable of generating Swagger JSON based on JAX-RS annotations alone. Having partial schema fragment inside WADL param is not good IMHO.

If you'd like to explore it further - do assume that parameters will refer to XML Schema in WADL:grammar. WADL has XMLSchema loaded - so you can use that data to analyze the types and add BeanVal annotations if -beanValidation is enabled, using full class names of these annotations without introducing a strong beanVal API dep

Many thanks, Sergey