Hello!

I am currently on a project where we are building a platform exposing a large
number of standard WSDL-first SOAP services with typed SEI classes. The purpose
of the platform is to do authentication and authorization for a large number of
users before the users access external data systems. We are aware that it is
not proper usage of SOAP services however we do not have control over our users.

We are however experiencing unexpected large size requests and responses to and
from the platform (10-60 MB SOAP messages) and we are seeing that:

  *   It seems that all these large requests take up a large amount of memory
since they are unmarshalled into Java object hierarchies and marshalled back to
XML when the requests and responses are forwarded.
  *   A large amount of CPU time is used for garbage collecting of all these
objects.

Additionally we are using the WS-SecurityPolicy functionality handled by Apache
CXF since we in a WS-Trust-like setup for most of the services.

So the question is, is there any way we can avoid generating the Java object
hierarchies and keep the using CXF for handling security?

Kind regards
Jesper