I was able to make the test suceed, by simply replacing this line :

connection.modify( dn, new DefaultModification( ModificationOperation.REPLACE_ATTRIBUTE, "displayName", "Test User1 updated" ) );

by

connection.modify( dn, new DefaultModification( ModificationOperation.REPLACE_ATTRIBUTE, "displayName", "test user1 updated" ) );

That means the modify() operation does not normalize the value before storing it into the bakend, keeping the uper cases, when the filter use a regexp which is case sensitive.

There is clearly a bug in the way we process the modification, the value *must* be normalized.

I'll fix that asap.