Not an answer to the main question, but a couple of thoughts...

I think BitmapData may not be directly serializable to amf. It is in
display package, and although not directly a display object, it might be
subject to same rules.
Here's the type of thing someone did in the past to avoid that:
Also it would be more compact I think to store the original loaded bytes.

Png and jpeg encoding was always slow with the original action script libs,
but bitmapdata has much faster native encoding methods now. Still maybe not
practical for large volumes of images as a batch, but I have found it to be
much more performance for encoding.

I wonder why you need to reencode when the original cache should have access