On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM, webmas...@krackedpress.com
<webmas...@krackedpress.com> wrote:

> I know that no system is perfect, but I could use whatever help there is
> out there for these tasks.  There was talk on the OOo list a while back
> about a Grammar add-on project, but I do not know it it ever got finished.
>
> It would be nice to have an option for "sound alike" words like "aunt" and
> "ant".
> Of course it would be nice if I could spell properly, or close enough for
> the
> spell checker to give me a list that has the word I am looking for.
>
> So does any one know of some free system that would run on Ubuntu
> that does more than LO does for grammar checking?  Even a stand alone
> package would help.

The one that I really hated was an OOo extension - language lab, I
think.  They had two grammar checker / thesaurus add-ons and I thought
this one was better, then I wound up turning it off because it flagged
every possible error (most of which weren't).  I didn't see anything
like this on the TDF site.

You might find it more useful than I did, but again I don't recommend it.

As for stand-alone grammar checkers, you might have luck with Google....