On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 5:22 AM, Charles Marcus
<cmar...@media-brokers.com> wrote:
> On 2011-02-17 7:37 AM, Karl Lambert wrote:
>> That does not work on my windows xp machine.  Pretty bothersome.
>
> I have had a few times when setting the file associations with 'Open
> with' did not work, and it turned out to be registry permission
> problems, but it was painstaking, and honestly the easiest way to fix it
> I found was an in-place re-install of windows...

Linux is a great solution to this problem....  :-)

> Reinstalling/Repair Installing OOo wouldn't fix the problem...

AFAICT, it only works with the first installation of anything that
handles a particular file type.  All other changes appear to require
manual intervention.  Still, that really isn't OOo's fault, or LibO
either - it's the file manager's.

> I opened a bug about this with OOo asking/begging for a proper File
> Associations Manager, that would also include the ability to fix busted
> permissions on registry entries, but was told to go away... maybe I'll
> try again with LibO...

I don't know the technical details involved, but I suspect that,
without a universal API for file managers to do this sort of thing, it
won't happen for LO, either.