Wow, somewhere in there i see an admittance that it is marginally easier to
top-post.  At last.

________________________________
From: Tanstaafl <tansta...@libertytrek.org>
To: users@libreoffice.org
Sent: Mon, 30 May, 2011 19:54:50
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] <OT>Re: Sun Weblog Publisher broken

On 2011-05-30 12:17 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
> A LOT of people top-post.  Particularly normal office workers.

Yeah, because they're typically a bunch of lazy bums...

> Most email clients seem to default to open emails at the top of the
> email.

Not sure that's true (I know Thunderbirds default is to bottom post),
but its a piss poor excuse for being a lazy sob.

> Between normal office workers this is normally the latest thing in an
> ongoing thread.  If the poor worker can't remember earlier posts then
> they just scroll down for a quick refresher.

Like I said... LAZY.

> Most normal office workers open the email, see the latest thing that
> might need a response and then just click on the reply button and
> start typing.  Done. Next email.
>
> With bottom posting the email gets opened at some ancient history
> that is far too familiar now and might even be something completely
> unrelated.

Only if the one doing the bottom posting doesn't trim their reply. It is
actually much EASIER to read a properly formatted in-line posted
response (ala this one).

> Then the person scrolls to the bottom of the thread where all the
> signatures and notes about antivirus scans and stuff so the person
> has to scroll up a bit before reaching the relevant part.

Tom, I refuse to believe that you are truly this stupid, seeing as we
have had this conversation before, so you are obviously being
intentionally disingenuous...

As I said above, you KNOW that everyone who advocates bottom/in-line
posting does so with the understanding that the quoted text MUST be
properly trimmed to include ONLY the relevant portions needed to
maintain context.

ONLY a lazy sob like yourself would assume that no trimming would/should
take place.

> So, it's more hassle and takes longer for most office workers to do
> bottom-posting and so they (oddly enough) opt for the much easier
> method of top-posting.

Sure, it might take a few seconds longer to properly format a longer and
more complex reply (like this one) than just blindly clicking Reply and
top-posting, but it is much more readable, meaningful, and pleasing to
read these kinds of replies than yours.

And for short replies, it only takes me a second longer, because all I
have to do is highlight the relevant text needed to maintain context,
and then when I click reply, that is ALL that is included in the quoted
text.

If your mail client won't do that, then get a real mail client that will.

> Some people in here criticise me for not doing things the way they
> normally work.

I don't care how you work, but I do care when you purposefully and
intentionally misrepresent the case between top and bottom/in-line posting.

Please at LEAST be HONEST about it, Tom...