On Friday 05 August 2011 00:37:47 Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

......<lots of snipping so we can focus>..........

Dennis. sooooo, following your advice:

> One thing you can do with the file that fails is try to open it with a Zip
> utility and run a test on it.  If the Zip tests all right, it means the
> corruption occurred during encryption, not later, during writing.  If the
> Zip indicates any part of the document is corrupted, you might see if a Zip
> repair utility can help.

OK, I opened the file as a zip. Here is what I got:

Archive:  Experience.zip
 extracting: mimetype
 extracting: content.xml
 extracting: layout-cache
 extracting: manifest.rdf
 extracting: styles.xml
 extracting: meta.xml
 extracting: Configurations2/accelerator/current.xml
   creating: Configurations2/progressbar/
   creating: Configurations2/floater/
   creating: Configurations2/popupmenu/
   creating: Configurations2/toolpanel/
   creating: Configurations2/menubar/
   creating: Configurations2/toolbar/
   creating: Configurations2/images/Bitmaps/
   creating: Configurations2/statusbar/
 extracting: settings.xml
  inflating: META-INF/manifest.xml

I don't quite understand what you mean by running a test on it. All, or most
of those files have now appeared in the directory where I unzipped the file.
Are they useful for any recovery?

We hsave determined....what ??

> The corruption could be in the key information rather than in the file
> (which would be very bad, since there is almost no way to recover if that
> is the case).  If the corruption is in the file, the form of encryption
> used tends to limit mistakes (that is, things tend to go right again after
> a while).  Because the decrypted file is a compressed stream inside of a
> Zip, decompression can also go off the rails.  But it may be possible to
> recover whatever there is.

Do you think this is what happened to me?

> But at this point, password recovery won't help
> because your password is not the problem.  It takes some serious forensic
> tools to now attempt a recovery, and I don't know who might have those that
> work with the encryptions that are used for ODF documents.

You're saying this is NOT my problem since I was able to unzip it?

> You may also be able to find a backup of the unencrypted file on your
> system.  You should look for that.  Also, if you can reconstruct from an
> earlier version of the file, that would be good. JeepNut was able to find a
> backup to recover a seriously-corrupted file (crash during save) in a post
> last Friday.  Look in Tools | Options | LibreOffice | Paths and see where
> the Backups are in the list of Paths used by LibreOffice.  You might also
> be able to find something in Temporary files (that's a stretch).

Nope, I checked that out and there was nothing. I also did a lot of googling
and followed some URLs suggested on this thread. Saw something about using a
hex-editor but didn't understand it, and it didn't seem as though the
circumstances were the same.

Hope you or someone else can guide me a little further along this path.

Bob S