Jaroslav

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 23:28 +0200, Jarosław Staniek wrote:

> Tom Davies wrote:
>
> > Hi :)
> > Kexi is the database app in Calligra.  Calligra is a fork of KOffice.
> > KOffice gave all their remaining database devs to Calligra and dropped
> > their version of
> > the database.  Calligra seems very active.
> >

> > Unfortunately Calligra and KOffice are really quite dependant on the K
> > Desktop
> > Environment (KDE).  They do have a port for Windows (and possibly Mac, i'm
> > not
> > sure).  Calligra have also developed a few apps that can work on mobile
> > platforms but that doesn't include Kexi yet.
>
> Hi Tom,
> I am Kexi developer. Kexi is dependent only on KDE Frameworks, not KDE
> Desktop. Like Libre Office, you can run Kexi with other desktops e.g. GNOME,
> any many do that. To show how small the dependencies are, I would maybe
> measure the real size of them e.g. for two popular distributions.
>
> > So,  the non-KDE versions of distros are going to ask for a  lot of
> > dependencies, probably Qt libraries and stuff.  You will probably need to
> > add the appropriate official repos.
>
> These days Qt is smalled in size than 5 average JPEG files :)
>
> > For Ubuntu you can try
> > sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
> > to install all of Kubuntu into Ubuntu but you might want to revert to your
> > Gnome or Unity DE at the login prompt (have a look along the bottom
> > task-bar/panel when you get the login prompt).
>
> 'sudo apt-get install kexi' or so, would do the trick better because it
> would install only dependencies needed by Kexi, not entire KDE Desktop.
>
> I am looking forward to hear feedback from people that use Kexi outside of
> KDE Desktop.
>
> --
> regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
>  http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek
>  Kexi & Calligra (kexi-project.org, identi.ca/kexi, calligra-suite.org)
>  KDE Software Development Platform on MS Windows (windows.kde.org)

You can install KOffice in Gnome via Synaptic with Ubuntu. Several
dependencies are installed also, the number did not seem excessive
(about 5 for KEXI). You can enter KEXI or KOffice for the full suite.

I have not use Kexi, only perused the menus. It seems similar to Base.

What is the embedded database engine used?

--
Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com