On 09/17/2011 08:21 AM, elcico2001 एल्चिको wrote:
 Il 17/09/2011 07:05, Winston Yang ha scritto:
In Writer, how can I type Indian fonts, such as Devanagari/Devanaagarii, for Hindi or Sanskrit?

I'm using LibreOffice 3.4.3 on Linux (Trisquel 4.5.1).

I tried going to the following places:

        Trisquel: System > Administration > Language Support

        Writer: Tools > Options > Language Settings > Languages

Thank you.

Winston

Hello Winston,
You can do the following - works for openoffice on debian 6.0, I suppose that's the same for libreoffice:

   * download sanskrit font sanskrit2003.ttf (
     http://www.omkarananda-ashram.org/Sanskrit/itranslator2003.htm -
     http://www.omkarananda-ashram.org/Sanskrit/sanskrit2003.zip )
   * copy sanskrit2003.ttf to /usr/share/fonts/truetype (that should be
     the right path, but I'm not sure on your distro)
I just click on the font and a font preview window pops up with an "Install Button" I use Ubuntu [Debian], and that is how I install fonts. All my fonts appear in a .font hidden folder. So if they need to go into the folder you listed, the need to go into the hidden one as well.

There is a font named Devnagri.  I have seen over 200 versions of that font.

   * supposing you have Gnome (if you use KDE let me know), go to
     System --> Preferences --> Keyboard  and choose the tab
     Disposition (that should be the english name)
   * click "add", choose "By Nation", select "India", click "add"
     again, then close the keyboard preferences window
   * if it doesn't appear by itself, add a keyboard indicator on the
     Gnome menu panel --> right clic on the panel, click "add to panel"
     and select "Keyboard indicator"
   * once you have the keyboard indicator on your panel, select indian
     layout, then open libreoffice writer
   * if the keyboard layout has changed... go back to indian again
   * select sanskrit 2003 font
   * and finally... write in sanskrit! :)

Namastè! or I'd better write... नमस्ते  :)