From: John Talbut <j...@dpets.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Base slowness and Java update
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Date: Friday, 14 October, 2011, 14:17

On 14/10/11 12:18, Mark Stanton wrote:
> I think you will find that most of the industry, and nearly all of
> the open source community will be very unlikely to believe what
> Oracle says on this subject.  It would be wise to consider that they
> may have a point.

All the more reason for us to do as much of the troubleshooting as we
can!  My guess is that it is not anything big, maybe a regression since
this seems to have happened before, and if we can pinpoint it, it should
not be too difficult to fix it or get someone at OpenJDK to do so.

On 14/10/11 12:41, Ferry Toth wrote:
> All this is true, but you might want to consider if you really want
> to use the built-in HSQLDB database for serious stuff. It is all
> java, which will never be really fast. Even with the java issues
> solved.

Well, it depends what you call serious.  I am sure that people with really big
databases will use separate applications anyway.  For my purposes, with around
2000 records, base was perfectly adequate in terms of speed until OpenJDK-6b23.

Whether or not base moves away from HSQLDB in the future, in the mean time I
think we need to get this one fixed and get base running as well as we can.

John