yes, probably it happened after an update, but I have not taken notice of which one. There are so many and you cant always point a specific bug to a specific update.

I use Ubuntu 10.04LTS:
Did this happen after an update of a package through the update manager? I get this issue sometimes after updating. I have had that graying with Firefox, Thunderbird, LO, and other packages from time to time, then it goes away by itself. Why it happens, I do not really know. Sometimes it happens after an updating and goes away later after others. The big stretch of graying was after I had a Linux core update.

I do not have an answer for a fix. But as I said, it goes away on its own.