The options you changed is only for inside libreoffice. It is used when you
save a new document you're currently editing.

If you're using Right click->new->text document from outside, like in the
windows explorer, it's not taken into account. Instead it use an empty
template file set-up during the libreoffice installation. This mean that
when you open it this way, it's not a "new" document, since windows already
created it from an .odt file.

If that's your case, use the new function from inside LibreOffice (File
menu->new) or look for a way to add a .doc template to your system new menu
(for example in windows, you can put an empty .doc file in the
C:\Windows\ShellNew folder to do so).

--
Cley Faye