On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 18:31 -0400, John Valance wrote:
> I am using LibreOffice Writer to format templates for use with JODReports.
> These templates are used to generate work order forms for a Natural Gas
> Utility, merging database content from a DB2 database. This is a great, low
> cost solution for report generation. However, I'm am having a major problem
> with what appears to be a bug in Writer, which is causing all of my embedded
> scripts to be erased when I save my templates. This is an intermittent
> problem - it doesn't happen on every save. But when it does, I lose all my
> embedded fields (more than two dozen of them!), and I have to revisit each
> field and re-enter the scripting code which indicates the field name to
> merge from the data source. This is extremely frustrating and costly in
> terms of redoing work and not being able to change formatting in the
> templates. If we don't find a solution we will have to abandon LibreOffice
> and hope that OpenOffice or MS Word are more stable solutions.
>
> The method for inserting a merge field is: Insert / Fields / Other. (or
> Ctrl+F2), select Functions tab, then click Input Field, then click OK. For
> "Reference", enter 'JOOScript', then click Insert. A dialog box appears,
> where you enter the FreeMarker expression that refers to the data field to
> merge, in a format like: ${field-name}. This is described here:
> http://jodreports.sourceforge.net/?q=node/24
>
> This will insert into the content.xml (within the zipped .odt file) a tag
> like this:
>
> <text:text-input
> text:description="jooscript">${WO.WO_ENTRY_DATE}</text:text-input>
>
> The problem I'm having is, when I save my odt file, Writer is erasing all of
> the FreeMarker expressions which are the content of these text-input tags.
> So what you would see in content.xml after this happens, is text-input tags
> with no content, like this:
>
> <text:text-input text:description="jooscript"></text:text-input>
>
> Anyone else have a similar problem, or know of a solution? Any help is much
> appreciated.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> John Valance
>
> JValance Consulting
>
> 802-355-4024

Three questions to begin with:
1) What version of LO are you using? (3.4.6, perhaps 3.51) 3.4.6 is a
better version for business purposes.
2) What operating system are you using?
3) Have you tried to save a document as a template? Templates as I
understand them are not .odt files. They are .ott files when created by
Writer as text templates.

--Dan