On 06/03/2012 03:03 PM, Felmon Davis wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012, Brian Barker wrote:
>
>> At 18:14 03/06/2012 +0000, Felmon Davis wrote:
>>> I am curious: what happens if one just changes the file extension
>>> from .doc to .docx?
>>
>> Roughly the same as if you call your cat Rover.
>>
>> Brian Barker
>
> sorry I cut the thread but the OP was concerned about the 'politics'
> of submitting '.doc' files to people obsessed with '.docx' files so
> why not just change the extension and meet the 'political' issue but
> avoid getting one's hands dirty with '.docx' formatting? that was the
> point of the question. would Word get confused by the extension change?
>
> F.

My idea is to show that whatever MS does with file formats that you are
not required to use MSO at all. I deal with many users whose technical
literacy is nil and think that to open or generate a MSOX format file
you must have MSO 2007/2010. It is guerrilla marketing because
eventually it comes out that I am not using MSO at all but can handle
their file formats without difficulty. One of my goals is to say to
someone I know it can be done because I do it regularly when I recommend
LO to someone and it is not some marketing claim that needs to be verified.

--
Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com