On 06/03/2012 05:29 AM, Miros?aw Zalewski wrote:
> On 03/06/2012 at 01:58, Jay Lozier <jsloz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The real problem is that ODF 1.2 is not supported by MS and I am not
>> sure if MSO XP supports any ODF formats.
> But Andreas is not talking about DOC vs ODF. He is talking about DOC vs DOCX.
> I agree with him - DOC was around earlier, it has pretty good (but not
> perfect) support in LibreOffice. MS Office 2007 and 2010 are capable of
> reading
> and writing old binary DOC format.
>
> When interoperability with MS Office users is concerned, then DOC is the best
> option you can choose.
My choice of MS formats is done for*political* reasons not technical.
Some people I interact with need to feel comfortable that I can read a
MSOX format file and the best way to convey this is to send them MSOX
format files. Thus they do not need to worry if I can open a file they
send me and most do not know that the file was created on a Linux box
using LO unless I tell them. I assume many of the other users are not
technically skilled enough to use Save As and will only use the default
format of their version of MSO. If I have no idea what a person uses
other than a version Windows I use the older formats as a precaution. My
guerrilla campaign is not use Windows and thus MSO at all and to use
Linux/LO and show others over time that they do not need to depend on MS
for many if not all of their computing needs.

Note I do not use any MSO/MSOX formats for document creation or editing,
I always use ODF formats and do a final Save As to convert the format.

A side note many Windows users are surprised when I tell them I can not
use IE on Linux, they assume everyone can use IE. Needless to say, these
users are probably completely unaware there are other office suites
available (FOSS or commercial).

--
Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com