Lotus Symphony is different from LibreOffice (all versions) and Apache
OpenOffice 3.4.  It forked much farther back than OO.o 3.x, as well as I can
tell.  Although it has unique features, it does not appear to have kept up with
OpenOffice.org and its descendants in other respects.

I just started a fresh Text document in Lotus Symphony 3.0.1 and tried a Save
As ... .  The only Microsoft Office formats I am offered are Microsoft Word
97-2003 (*.doc), Microsoft Word 97-2003 Template (*.dot), and Microsoft Rich
Text Format (*.rtf).  The only other formats are .txt, .sxw, .ott, and .odt.
(There is an Export as PDF ... ).

The only file formats I can make the default for Save are "Open Document
Format" (no version), and "Microsoft Office 97-2003".  There are some other
options for automatically converting from one to another on load and save.

Lotus Symphony is going to end-of-life, with replacement by a Lotus
packaging/customization of Apache OpenOffice in the future.

The contribution of the non-Java Symphony-unique code to Apache OpenOffice is
now under review.    My personal prediction (FWiW) is that not much of that
will be seen until Apache OpenOffice 4.0.  There will be a 3.4.1 and perhaps
progression to an AOO 3.5 before that.

 - Dennis