I followed up on Lotus Symphony 3.0.1 already.  For additional comparison, here
are the corresponding details for Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0.

The Microsoft Office Save As ... format cases are
 Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (*.doc)
 Microsoft Word 95 (*.doc)
 Microsoft Word 6.0 (*.doc)
 Rich Text Format (*.rtf)
 Microsoft Word 2003 XML (*.xml)

The only other formats are .odt, .ott, .sxw, .stw, .txt (two flavors), and .html

Some folks notice the loss of WordPerfect conversions.  I haven't seen much on
the inability to export OOXML formats.

I suppose an elephant in the room, at least for Windows platforms, is the
possibility that the next version of Office (currently known as Office 15)
might provide better interoperability with ODF formats than the *Office clan
provide for OOXML.  I have no reason to believe that will be the case, despite
the opportunity that appears to exist for tipping the equation around business
use even farther.

Also interesting is the fact that Windows Live SkyDrive now supports native
(and free) web-based upload, editing, and download of ODF documents at
something around the current ODF 1.1 support from Microsoft.  It will be
interesting to see how that evolves along with the arrival of Office 15 too.
This is a way to extend support for Office documents to non-Windows platforms
using browsers and the cloud.

[On my WindowsPhone 7.5, the Microsoft Office applications are still only for
Microsoft Office documents, although OneNote is being provided as an App on
other mobile platforms.  If I attempt to edit an ODF document that I've
uploaded to Skydrive, my phone switches to the browser access for editing the
document.  That could change too.]

 - Dennis