How old do you think engineering is?
           granted this term existed, yet the definition has changed
post-industrialization.

       Here are a couple sites which seem to be fairly accurate
historically -

           http://www.creatingtechnology.org/history.htm

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/192894/careers_and_job_hunting/a_brief_history_of_engineering.html

       Also, what you described would not have been necessary until the age
of middle-managers - ca. mid 20C, post WWII