Thanks. Though I read your reply a good number of times and thought hard
about it, I failed to see the difference of what I am currently doing now:
select the next background. Okay, it is from a template. But it does not
seem to address the salient point: I need to select the next background. And
when I shuffle or insert, I need to click all subsequent slides, correct?
What I was actually looking for, was a way to automagically apply a series
of backgrounds (all backgrounds) consecutively to all the slides in a way of
incrementing the background number with incrementing slide numbers.

Please correct me in case I was missing something,

Uwe