I went to my dual boot system and attempted to duplicate the issue under
version 3.5.
When I attempted to open a ntfs file the file manager in Ubuntu automount
the partition without any problem. The file also loaded. Now to compare
apples to apples I am going to force upgrade my version to the latest
libreoffice version 3.6 . I will report back shortly

Mas

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 7:09 AM, CVAlkan <fobe...@enteract.com> wrote:

> Mas, Jay:
>
> Thanks for the responses; I'll add info to have the drives mounted at boot
> time for the time being.
>
> After further experiments, however, I believe more strongly that the
> behavior I describe qualifies as a Bug. Here's why:
>
> A) If one attempts the exact same sequence of file loading with Calc, the
> behavior is exactly what anyone would reasonably expect. Specifically, if
> after confirming in Nautilus that a specfic partition is NOT mounted, you
> open Calc and then go through the File|Open sequence on the unmounted
> partition, the file is loaded with no problem. If you then return to
> Nautilus, you will see that the partition is now mounted. So, at the very
> least, there is an inconsistency between the operation of Calc and Writer.
>
> B) To further illustrate why the behavior I describe is "user-hostile,"
> load
> Writer normally, and then (by any means) load a few documents that reside
> on
> a normally-mounted partition. If you then choose to open a file that
> resides
> on an unmounted partition, Writer still disappears as I described, as do
> the
> other documents that were open. When restarting Writer, the documents are
> all waiting for recovery, of course, but you can see where an unsuspecting
> user's stress level might rise.
>
> C) Last, but not least, presenting a "File not found" or similar message
> would seem much more appropriate than simply shutting down the application.
> But, the helpful approach would be to mount the drive and load the file -
> just as Calc does.
>
> So, being new to Ubuntu and the world of open source, I'm not sure how to
> go
> about reporting this "officially" and would appreciate a quick tutorial.
>
> Thanks again ...

> deleted

Masekela Walls
Web Security Analyst | Senior Server Administrator
Powserve.com / Gemini ISP Networks