From: Viral Orpe <viral.o...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Fw: Help request on CALC charts' features
To: "users@global.libreoffice.org" <users@global.libreoffice.org>
Date: Wednesday, 10 October, 2012, 13:10

Hi :)

Thanks for all the responses....

I have tried to respond collectively here.

/* ******************** */

 Miguel Ángel:
============
About overlapping several charts
I got similar idea but not overlapping in calc itself but using gimp.
I came across gimp some time last week and it had some concept like layers.
I have added a transparent layer and copied two charts - with same axis scales,
ranges - on each layer.

I am not very conversant with gimp though so right now I can only jump from
one layer to another and see two charts one-by-one. My charts themselves
have opaque background so transparency of layers is not helping. Still a
work in progress, I must say. Will keep you posted once I get what I need -
first in gimp and then in calc.

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Dan:
===
About using Databases:
-----------------------------
Thanks Dan, you are absolutely right about wondering why not databases?!
I was thinking the best way to do what I do is using LAMP - particularly since
I have to ultimately work on data that is 245 days/year, 12 years till now,
1000+
entries everyday, each entry has say 8-10 sub-entries and at least two such
sets
of data! (Equity, derivatives, & Commodity)
(365 - 52x2weekends - 16 holidays = 245 days/year!)

But this is my first week with Linux! I can't possibly get into MySQL and hope
get it rightly done without crashing my system a thousand times. Right now, I
have this
one machine working. I hope to resurrect an old system and do all the LAMP/
sys-admin
type of work (tweaking!) on it before moving the whole thing to a powerful
machine.

The calc charting is a short term solution before I get (and I hope I get it
ultimately)
the whole LAMP thing going. (I had been using MS XP and Excel for couple of
years for
this purpose, I can't believe my own madness/inertia/procrastination!)
In fact I have noted your suggestion of linking the database files to calc and
then making
charts from it. That way I can use a database even before I get in to the A & P
of LAMP.

Dan, rost52, Tom:
=============
About Candlestick charts:
--------------------------------
Candlestick charting is a Japanese charting technique for stocks, commodities,
currencies. One candlestick represents the Open-High-Low-Close values for a
given interval. The interval can be anything from minutes to years but is
constant
for a chart. It is an excellent visual representation that is extremely quick
to grasp.
Inferences are made based on a single candle or multiple candles seen together.

Further info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlestick_chart

Check the various candlestick patterns and their interpretations.
*** The Japanese have shown great imagination in naming the patterns!

Just to check how a candle stick chart looks, please go to yahoo finance and
look for
a technical analysis/ charting link (mostly you can just click any chart you
see: NASDAQ/
DAX etc). Choose "Basic Tech Analysis" under charts. Set the range to 6 months
and select
type as "candle".

I will try to find a way to get a real life example .ods or screen-shots on the
net somewhere.

Steve:
====
The chartmaster software - was it open-source?
May be I should search for similar charting software in open source domain.
Unfortunately till now I have found myself to be "we didn't start the fire"
types :P
Someone, somewhere has always gone way ahead before me!
In any case, if I find something open-source I can be sure of tweaking it (on
my
own machine) to my desire/ caliber/ patience! May be add a little but not
reinvent!

Thanks,
Regards,
Viral Orpe :)

Processor  : Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual Core E6600 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory     : 4GB, DDR3
OS            : Linux Mint 12 Lisa - Kernel Linux 3.0.0-13-generic (i686)
LibreOffice : LibreOffice 3.4.3  OOO340m1 (Build:302)