Tom,
I don't think I am over-complicating it.  Here is what I found:

   In Tools -> Options -> Writer -> Basic fonts,  I have "Default"
   listed as "Liberation Sans", Size 12.  (This is correct, for my Writer.)

   In the example Base form I mentioned, when I have no control
   selected (edit mode) , the toolbar shows "Default", "DejaVu Serif",
size 12. If I select a control the toolbar options are greyed out and in the
   control's properties dialog under "Font", it lists "(Default)", and
   when I click on the [...] button to the right to get the font
   selection dialog, it first highlights "DejaVu Sans", with size of
   10.  I am assuming that since it is highlighted first, it is what
   "(Default)" is set to.

These are three different fonts!
So, your comment that Base does not have a separate default font does not appear true. Base does not seem to track the Writer "Default" font as its "(Default)" font. Keep in mind, this form was created way back with an early version of OpenOffice, probably 2.4, so these font definitions may be embedded in the form file somewhere from then. However, the form's "(Default)" font should be changeable somewhere, as is Writer's, since it can't seem to be changed in the Base form's style dialog. I just had another idea and looked at the form's character style (no control selected). There is a "Default" character style, but when I right-click on it, all I get is "New", no "Modify" option. Weird!

In the "big picture", what I am trying to do is change "(Default)" to the font I want without changing each and every one of the numerous controls in numerous forms that I have. That will be painful, as I discovered already on one form, which I will have to return to "(Default)" when I learn the secret of changing the "(Default)" font. That is why I asked question #2 - how to return a control font to "(Default)" after is has been changed to something else.
Thanks.
Girvin Herr

Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
Are you over-complicating the default font?
Tools - Options - Writer - "Basic Fonts"
should set the defaults for most things. There isn't a different one for Base. Regards from Tom :)