Hi :)
Drop Caps pre-dates printing and wikipedia shows an example c.200 on papyrus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initial
but i found this link easier to make sense of
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/04/03/drop-caps-historical-use-and-current-best-practices/

Apparently in the early days of printing they would leave a space for the
letter and an illustrator could be hired to carefully create the letter after
the book had been printed and sold!  Some were a lot more ornate than others!
In web-design we sometimes do roughly the same nowadays with that first letter
being an image that the text wraps around.  Of course it's a lot easier
nowadays and it's easier to replace the image if it looks a bit wrong and tehre
are other ways of doing it.