At 21:47 16/03/2013 +0000, Tom Davies wrote:
Free Software is very different from freeware.

Ho, ho! This is rubbish, of course: freeware is free software. (I suspect you know that. I certainly hope you do. Try a good dictionary. Try a poor one, come to that.)

Just because something happens to be free in price doesn't mean it is OpenSource, has a community ...

As you could have read (and no doubt did), I made no mention of open source or communities or anything else - as neither did you. I simply quoted your own unqualified reference to "freeware". So this suggestion now is a straw man.

Everyone will have giggled at your original suggestion ("I tend to distrust freeware") in the context of the mailing list for a freeware product. Mine was just the obvious throw-away response. Remember the advice: when in a hole, stop digging!

Brian Barker