Hi :)
Nice! :)  I had not thought of using Vlc as a media player, ie music too.

Tbh though i think you are describing the old "way of things" from a couple of
years ago.  There is a lot more out there now.  Rhythmbox is built in and
probably even has an add-on for starring or rating music.  It's a dedicated
music player and even gives easy access to a Music Store (confusingly also
called Ubuntu One), various Radio (such as LibreFm, LastFm and others that can
be user-defined), Podcasts and stuff.

It's right there when you click on the speaker icon in Unity.  Simples