Hi :)
Typing manually!!!

Is that something to do with old tags being id3 and new ones being id6?
Something like that?  iTunes probably uses id6 and leaves the id3 empty and
linux ones that you have been using probably use the id3 and ignore the id6s.
Hmmm

Have you searched through your package manager yet?  It's good to get "Synaptic
Package Manager" to handle fine-grained stuff like this.  The 1st couple of
searches i tried gave me nothing useful but then i searched using "music tags"
and got tons of things that looked worth trying;

 * Guayadeque is a player that handles both/all types of tags and might be able
to copy&paste them fairly quickly so that each track has both types properly
filled in.

 * Clementine again a fast and light-weight one.  This says it's speciality is
fast searching.

 * Cowbell is a tag editor so hopefully you might be able to use it
"headlessly" to copy your v6 tags into v4 format keeping both.  test on a small
batch before committing yourself tho!

There are 3 command-line that might be powerful but i tend to avoid
command-line if possible
1.  id3
2.  id3tool
3.  id4v2

Musiclibrarian is more about organising, i'm not sure if it plays at all.

Sorune similarly

These 3 might be useful, hopefully the 1st one might do the job or make it very
easy

1.  puddletag

2.  pyrenamer  (i use this for renaming srt subtitles for tele series when i
want to watch the whole series at lowish volume to avoid disturbing the
neighbours tooo much).  I didn't realise it can edit music tags too

3.  python-tagpy