At 18:21 30/05/2013 -0700, Girvin R. Herr wrote:
... Calc keeps changing the 1st character of a filename in a text cell to upper case. ... the autoformat option in the Format menu is grayed out no matter what I do.
... the autoformat option is the same - grayed out!

No-one seems to have answered the question in your Subject header: "What happened to autoformat option?" The answer is that it is probably alive and well and fulfilling its proper purpose - which is to apply cell formats quickly to a table of cells. It makes no sense for a single cell: that is why it is greyed out. Since it seems to expect column and row headings as well as a line of totals in each direction, a minimum of a three-by-three cell range appears to be appropriate. If you select such a cell range, the AutoFormat menu item will leap into black and white.

... since I usually turn off all autoformatting.

That would be AutoCorrection.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker