Hi :)
I think it is a legitmate concern especially if you only have one machine to
look after and therefore can't afford to do any experimentation with using
different antivirus programs.

I was hoping that the chap would download the Windows version on a Gnu&Linux
box and then run an antivirus scan using something other than Avira.  He did
kindly re-download but then scanned with Avira again.

I've finally got around to sitting at an Xp machine and downloaded LibreOffice
4.04.  The Xp machine here is running "Microsoft Security Essentials" and
"Avg".  Neither complained about the LO downloads.

In Firefox it did give me the bar at the top, saying "Firefox prevented this
page from automatically redirecting to another page".  The download didn't
start straight away so i clicked on the link, inside the page, that said "If
your download does not start automatically, please click here".  Then i tried
the page again and this time when the bar appeared in clicked on the "Allow"
button to allow the page to automatically redirect to another page.  This way
around the download also started.

I guess i should really download Avira and try the whole thing again to see if
Avira complains on that Xp machine.

If you don't trust your antivirus then why use it?  You really have to take
notice if it grumbles about something otherwise what is the point in having it?
 All antivirus programs have problems with false-positives but when the program
grumbles you have to consider that it really might have found something.  I
typically try to run 2 antivirus programs on Windows but i would be stuck if
one grumbled and the other didn't.  Which one would i trust?  Of course having
any active program running all the time in the background is going to impact on
performance and having 2 (that also might conflict with each other) is going to
hurt even more.  [shrugs]  But then if people cared about the speed of  their
machine they wouldn't be using Windows in the first place.