No idea. It's true that epub is quite limited when it comes to style, but it is
mostly used for electronic ink readers, which, by now, are black and white
small devices designed to read books, in the classic meaning of the word: that
is, text with some minimal format. Maybe you're right when you say that is not
good enough, but it serves to a very specific purpose. What I fear is that it
may not be appropriate for complex structured documents, like manuals,
text-books, etc. that usually are built with a lot of frames.

Then again, I'm going to try to export one of the LibO manuals and see what
happens.
Regards,
Joaquín

"Joaquín Lameiro":

Please name me any 3rd-party reader which supports HTML5 and CSS3
sufficiently enough to provide all the features one can expect from a book.
That so-called standard is too expensive for independent implementation and
cannot guarantee acceptable results.