On 09/09/2013 11:52 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
> On 09/09/2013 10:57 AM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>> On 09/09/13 12:57, Virgil Arrington wrote:
>> [cut]
>>
>>> However, LO has one wonderful advantage. The free font, Linux
>>> Libertine G, has many expert effects, and LO can access them all.
>>> It's an excellent typeface, and so far, the latest LO stable version,
>>> 4.0.5, seems to work very well with it. (Despite its "Linux" name,
>>> the font works just as well in Windows.)
>>>
>>> http://www.numbertext.org/linux/ (Libertine has an equally excellent
>>>  companion sans-serif font, Linux Bolinium G)
>>>
>>> Using the advanced features requires adding extensions to the font
>>> name, such as "Linux Libertine G:onum=1" to use old style numbers.
>>> Various extensions are separated by the ampersand (&). It can be a
>>> little cumbersome at first, but there is an excellent guide at:
>>>
>>> www.numbertext.org/linux/fontfeatures.pdf
>>>
>>> The Typography Toolbar extension makes its use easier.
>>>
>>> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/typo
>>
>> This looks very useful, but I note that it hasn't been updated since
>> 2010 and OOo (LO?) 3.4. Is it known to function with LO 4.1?
>>
>> Peter HB
>>

> I'll speak from some level of technological ignorance. I think the
> font itself has not been updated in a while, but, what makes the font
> work with LO and AOO is the Graphite engine. This is where I get real
> ignorant, but I've found that as LO and AOO are upgraded, they work
> better with the Linux Libertine G fonts. For example, there is a
> switch in the font (itlc=2), which provides proper alignment of Italic
> text next to Roman text. You'll notice that the "fontfeatures.pdf"
> website says this switch doesn't work with LO 3.4. That is true; it
> doesn't. And, up to last week, it didn't work for me with LO 3.6.7.
> However, I upgraded to LO 4.0.5 and, voila, the switch works. Also, in
> prior versions of LO, Linux Libertine seemed to cause some crashes,
> but I haven't experienced a crash since LO 3.6. I don't think this is
> due to changes in the font, but rather improvements in LO itself. (I
> won't upgrade to LO 4.1.x until "x" becomes 5 or higher).
>
> Perhaps someone else with knowledge about how LO and Graphite work
> together can chime in. I just know that every successive version of LO
> works better with the Libertine G and Biolinium G fonts, much to my
> delight.
>
> It has become my default LO font for both my Windows and Linux
> partitions on my dual boot system.
>
> Virgil

I am a font person, and do not use the Libertine and Biolinium fonts
often.  But I agree with your statement that each version of LO is
displaying and printing better than the last one, some some people.  The
"graphics" engine that renders the fonts is improving.

I too use LO for both my Linux and Windows systems.  I have not
installed any non-trial version of MSO since MSO2003.

As a font person, I use a lot of "specialty fonts" over the years.  So
the better the package works with fonts, the better it is for me.  I use
to have to take some fonts and change them to JPG files just to use them
in document.  Now that is almost a thing of the past, depending how
complex the font actually is.

As for not using those two font "families", well, I have over 14 GB of
fonts in my font collection and I try to stay below 400 installed fonts
at any time.  We are talking about 40 font files for the two, if you
included all of different "styles".  So I am not installing most of them
right now.