On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 21:32:48 -0400 doug dijo:

>Whatever is the "wonderful" one, I'll try it and see if is appeals to
>me over just everyday Times-Roman.

I have LO 3.5.7.2 on a recent fresh install and up to date Xubuntu
12.04. I have done a lot of DTP since I bought my first computer in
1978, recently mostly with Scribus, but occasionally I use LO. I was
very interested in this discussion of the Linux Libertine font and its
amazing abilities with the typography toolbar extension.

I downloaded and installed Linux Libertine from the Ubuntu repos, and
also installed the typography toolbar 1.1. The font appears fine and
the toolbar appears as I think it is supposed to. But there is a
problem. I opened an unimportant LO file to experiment with, selected
some text that had a number in it, applied Linux Libertine font, then
clicked on the old style numerals button in the toolbar. Nothing
happened. I repeated this with ligatures, tried true small caps, and
various other features of the toolbar, but the text flickered for an
instant and no changes were made.

Of course I closed LO and restarted it, but still nada. I am guessing
there is some fundamental setting somewhere that must be turned on for
this to work. Anyone have any clues?