On 28/09/2013, Michael Hartigan <michael.harti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a job application in .doc format, which LibreOffice will only open
> in read-only mode.  I need to fill in the fields and send it back to my
> prospective employer in .doc format.  I have checked the file properties
> and it is not a read-only file.

Sometimes such documents contain forms that are read-only; content can
be added but the form cannot be edited. If it is required to edit the
form (e.g. a table is mis-aligned), below are some example actions.

Save the document to the local disk
In the command terminal

        libreoffice -invisible -convert-to fodt m$documentname.doc

Use a text editor to open the fodt file (m$documentname.fodt), search
for the element 'ProtectForm' and change the attribute 'type' from
"true" to "false". Save the file

In the command terminal
        libreoffice -invisible -convert-to odt m$documentname.fodt

The last command is optional; converting to odt will be recognised by
non-LO software such as m$ word, otherwise use LO to export the
document to PDF if necessary.