At 03:49 22/11/2013 -0800, Dan Chaltiel wrote:
Unfortunately, the very problem is that I cannot change the font I'm using in autocorrect, whatever I do :-(

That's why I offered you a workaround (in my message of 20 November) that doesn't require this: o Place the required symbol in a text (Writer) document - in an appropriate font.
o Select it.
o Now go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... | Replace, and you will find that the required character has already been entered in the With: field. Don't worry about the font.
o Continue as expected.

What happened when you tried this?

Brian Barker