Ok,

so I have mariabdb installed which is meant to work like a drop in
replacement for mysql. In other stuff I have done, there has been no
problem using mariadb instead of mysql.

I was able to create a simple database in mariadb and open it in base using
the direct connection. I changed some data, saved it and closed base.

I checked in the database on cli and the data had been entered. So I would
say that you could say that it works as advertised.

Cheers

Shelagh