Am 01.11.2014 um 12:19 schrieb Marion & Noel Lodge:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Thanks for your detailed reply.  After I had sent my message, I realised
> that I had neglected to mention that I am using the H2 database.
>
> I went back into Tools | Relationships and decided to remove the the
> relationship lines so that I could manually make the changes I wanted.  I
> discovered that for two of the relationships it took three attempts to
> delete the lines.  That made me wonder if I had somehow managed to link my
> tables three times!  So I reinstated the relationships using the "New
> Relation" button rather than dragging the lines.  Then, to my surprise, I
> discovered that "Update cascade" worked!!

Learning a little bit of SQL you can save a lot of time and effort. The
things you need to know learn about creation and modification of tables,
fields and indexes are very simple. There are text editors which help
you to compose statements from prepared snippets. Well, even a Writer
template can be spiced up with some auto-text in SQL language.
Even the most simple plain text editor lets me define a table with
primary key, default values and foreign key faster than the Base GUI.
Back to Base, you have to call menu:View>Refresh Tables. And yes,
sometimes it is a good idea to restart the office suite. Using an
external database such as H2 keeps your data safe and warm.