On 07/24/2015 08:05 AM, Dan Lewis wrote:
> On 07/24/2015 09:31 AM, Tom Williams wrote:
>> Greetings!  With all of the recent discussion about Linux being a viable
>> alternative to Windows, in today's computing world, I've read many
>> comments about whether or not LibreOffice is a good alternative to MS
>> Office.  Some say yes, others say no.   One common comment made by those
>> who say no is Writer isn't good for "complex documents".  For "basic"
>> word processing, it's fine.
>>
>> Question:  in what ways does LO Writer "fail" at editing or creating
>> "complex documents"?
>>
>> Does anyone here have any experience with LO Writer and "complex
>> documents"?  If so, what has your experience been (either good or bad)?
>>
>> I know I haven't actually defined "complex documents" but I haven't seen
>> any definition of that in any of the comments I've read either.  So,
>> I'll leave the definition up to whatever you would consider a "complex
>> document".  :)
>>
>> I've submitted on LO Writer bug where Writer didn't handle Word
>> documents with pages with different page orientations well.  I was
>> helping a friend with a term paper and most of the paper was in portrait
>> orientation, but a few pages were in landscape.  LO Writer treated the
>> entire document as either portrait or landscape but couldn't handle the
>> mixture of both. I think that's been fixed, since I reported the bug.
>> That's been about my only experience with a "complex document".
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Peace...
>>
>> "The other" Tom
>      Is the problem with Complex documents really about the
> complexity, or is it about using LO and?Word on a complex document?
>      I have been working with ODF Authors to create documentation for
> OpenOffice.org and then LibreOffice. I consider these document to be
> complex.
>
> Dan

Unfortunately, most of the comments I had read were more of a "general"
nature, so details like the ones you raise were left out.  I think it
could be a combination or mixture of both.  Maybe in some cases,
"actual" complexity of documents was being considered and in other
cases, the perception that Writer couldn't "handle" anything other than
basic word processing tasks.

Peace...

"The other" Tom

--