On 07/24/2015 10:45 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
> At 06:31 24/07/2015 -0700, Tom Williams wrote:
>> ... I've read many comments about whether or not LibreOffice is a
>> good alternative to MS Office. Some say yes, others say no. One
>> common comment made by those who say no is Writer isn't good for
>> "complex documents". For "basic" word processing, it's fine.
>> Question: in what ways does LO Writer "fail" at editing or creating
>> "complex documents"?
>>
>> I've submitted an LO Writer bug where Writer didn't handle Word
>> documents with pages with different page orientations well. I was
>> helping a friend with a term paper and most of the paper was in
>> portrait orientation, but a few pages were in landscape. LO Writer
>> treated the entire document as either portrait or landscape but
>> couldn't handle the mixture of both.
>
> It's worth saying that you are mixing your ideas here. This experience
> is not about LibreOffice's facility at creating or editing (text)
> documents with mixed page orientations, but about how it can handle
> whatever Microsoft Word puts in its proprietary file formats to encode
> similar structures. That may well matter to you, but it has little to
> do with how good LibreOffice may be at achieving this particular
> structure.
Yes, the example I cited doesn't reflect on Writer's ability to create
or edit documents with mixed page orientations but the behavior I
experienced could be easily viewed as Writer not being able to "handle"
some kinds of MS Word documents.   This isn't my personal view but a
view I've experienced from those I've helped in using Writer.

> You surely cannot believe that it is at all difficult to create and
> edit text documents with mixed page orientations in LibreOffice?

I haven't personally created a document like this but I wouldn't have
thought it would be difficult to do. I would have simply looked up how
to do it and do it.  :)

Peace...

"The other" Tom

--