shirish शिरीष wrote:

 > Dear Piet,
 >
 > Yours and a private mail are bang on target.  Libreoffice thinks that
 > those 'numbers' are text. This I was able to find via View > Value
 > highlighting .
 >
 > Now non-plussed how to tell libreoffice to tell it to treat them as
 > 'real numbers' ?

One way you can get numbers as text is when you import a CSV file, and forget
to merk the column as numbers. Or when you paste from plain text and forget the
same.

One way to get them as numbers is to add a function in another column,
containing
=NUMBERVALUE(B2)
if the first number is in cell B2.
Then copy this down for all numbers in the original column. Now you have a copy
of your numbers, and they are really formatted as numbers. Now Copy this column
with Edit > Copy and do a Edit > Paste Special over the original "text
numbers", selecting only "Numbers".
--
Piet van Oostrum <p...@vanoostrum.org>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/