> the icons in the menu bars are terrible!  Way too large
Tools > Options;  Left panel: LibreOffice > View; Right panel: Set Icon
Size = Small
If desired, install and select an alternate icon style as well.

> as is the bar at the bottom with the "Find" window, which I can't find a
way to get rid of.
View > Tool bars > Find (un-check) (or click the X on the left side of the
Find bar)

> I'm not terribly happy with the new opening screen either, with all the
recent documents being displayed
Tools > Options > LO > Advanced :: Expert Configuration | Search for
PickListSize
Set to value desired (including zero).

> Keyboard shortcuts are changed
For maximum productivity set your own KB shortcuts under Tools > Customize.