> On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knu...@gmail.com
> >
>  wrote:
>

> The document is created in Writer. It has Text, a table and an embedded
> spreadsheet. I got it from and OO/LO template document years ago. I've
> tweaked it somewhat, but not much.  I open it in Writer, paste in the
> relevant charges from my Tracking spreadsheet, save it to a new filename,
> and then save a copy in Office format for my clients, who use Word and
> Microsoft Office. I can't dictate to paying clients what software to use to
> open my invoices.
>

> I can't just send it in ODF. Unless MS Office has suddenly decided to
> support reading ODF files. Last time I tried it didn't.  I could send it in
> PDF, and will if I have no other choice. If LO can't export a simple
> spreadsheet embedded in a document to a current MS format, or read back
> what it wrote, then they should not be included as options to export to.
>
> I use this system for my business. It has to work, or I have to use
> something else.

​<...>

QC, perhaps I misunderstand you, but you seem to be saving what originally
was a .doc file in .docx format, because as you say above, «[t]he older
Word 97 format is not readable anymore by one of my customers». I was quite
surprised to read that, as I had laboured under the understanding that even
the latest editions of MS Office could still successfully open files in
.doc (and for that matter, .xls) format. Could it be that your attempts to
save the file in .docx format is what led the embedded spreadsheet (which I
presume was originally in .xls format) to be converted to an image (in
which format ?) ?...

Perhaps to get 'round your present difficulty you could open the embedded
spreadsheet in .xls format and then attempt to save it in .xlsx format. If
that can be done successfully, perhaps you could replace the embedded
version with the new version ?...

Good luck !

Henri